SubjectRe: serial problems

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:45:58 +0200
> From: octave klaba <oles@ovh.net>
>
> I use the serial cart with 5.03 / 2.2.17
> Serial driver version 5.03 (2000-08-11) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled
> 00:0d.0 Serial controller: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device 7168 (rev 01)
>
> I realized it can crash easy a system:
> run kermit on a ttySX to an another box.
> when you get the terminal just disconnect the cable
> and connect it on a another serial port (without any output)
> now quit kermit: your system should be crashed.
>
> Can you actually give me some details of how your system "crashed"? It
> certainly shouldn't have. Kermit will sometimes hang waiting for the
> terminal to flush if it's enabled hardware flow control and there are
> characters pending to be flushed. ^Z will generally break out of the
> waiting loop, at which point you can kill the kermit process with a kill
> command. ^C will also break you out back to the kermit prompt, at which
> point a second "quit" command will generally work.

the server just freezes. nothing on the screan. trying to ping the server
I realized the server is "crashed".

> another bug (known bug I think) is: if you use
> a serial cable not connected, your system crashs
> on the boot.
>
> Huh? I have several machines without a serial cable, and it certainly
> doesn't crash on boot.

I posted this "problem" a while ago, and someone told me it is a
known bug !? it crashs when you want to start the serial connection
(on redhat /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial). it arrived only when you put
a cable on a serial port and you do not connect it anywhere. it is
beacase "the serial connection is opened" someone told me.

--
Amicalement,
oCtAvE

"Peu importe ce qu'il y a de l'autre côté.
Tout ce qu'on laisse ici n'est qu'une histoire
dont on se souviendra ou pas."