    SubjectRe: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x
       From: patl@cag.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti)
    Date: 23 Oct 2000 15:58:39 -0400

    Is the Linux behavior even consistent with POSIX? You are saying
    that SOCK_DGRAM behaves fundamentally differently for local
    connections than for remote ones; in particular, the latter *do not
    block* while the former do. Even if this is standard, it ought to
    be documented better...

    I did not say whether such calls block or not, during memory
    allocation they might.

    Look, show me how memcpy() can drop a packet and then we can continue
    on about whether SOCK_DGRAM on AF_UNIX should behave one way or the
    other ok? :-) Because this is all that AF_UNIX is, memcpy, like a
    pipe. Therefore, the reliability distincion between
    SOCK_DGRAM/SOCK_STREAM has no meaning for AF_UNIX sockets.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:2.188 / U:0.004 seconds]