SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> With ClearPageDirty() kernel locked up (but no watchdog, so probably
> some livelock) during bootup after fsck /

Actually, it turns out that even with this issue fixed, there's the more
serious issue that the page _has_ to be removed from the page cache once
we get to the point that we're freeing the whole inode (which also calls
truncate_inode_pages).

Which means that we cannot take the easy way out and say "let's delay the
freeing until everything is ok" - even if a buffer is busy due to some
unfortunate timing (so that we turn the page into anonymous buffers), we'd
better get rid of the page from the page cache.

I'm starting to suspect that we leave this path as-is, and just fix the
mapping case (and PageUptodate() can work there). That should also avoid
the nasties.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.691 / U:0.236 seconds]