SubjectRe: Kernel 2.2.17 with RedHat 7 Problem !
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:24:32AM +0330, Hamid Hashemi Golpayegani wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have download kernel-2.2.17 from kernel.org and wanna to compile it under
> redhat 7 . when compiling start after few minutes show me this error message
> :

Due to bugs in the Linux kernel, it may only be compiled by certain versions
of GCC. GCC 2.7.2 or EGCS 1.1.2 are only supported compilers
(linux/Documentation/Changes).

Unfortunately, 2.7.2 and EGCS 1.1.2 are really crappy C++ compilers so many
distributions are beginning to ship GCC 2.95 and later. Those distributions
typically include an alternative gcc for compiling the kernel. RedHat has
kgcc, and you should compile the kernel with that.

You might want to take this opportunity to rethink your decision to 'upgrade'
your distributions kernel. Most distributions (including RedHat) ship
patched kernels that include features and fixes not in the Linus kernels
in order to better fit their users needs. If you install 2.2.17, you will
lose: AGP support, USB support, greatly improved raid and NFS, and many other
things.

Any bug fixes that are in 2.2.17 have probably already been applied to your
stock kernel.

(Alan has a 2.2.18pre that has most of these things included)

You will likely get the best support and stability from the kernel the
distributor recommends you run.

If you are going to upgrade, you should at least consider going to
2.4.0test-flavor-of-week, so that your crashes will at least contribute to
Linux development. :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.145 / U:0.100 seconds]