SubjectRe: Proposal: driver initialization pipelining
On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > There ought to be _some_ initializations that don't require interrupts?
> > Registering the file systems and network protocols, stuff like that?
>
> Give up on IDE, it is too broken.

Yeah S- Can the whole thing and 90% of all users of Linux??

> You should get away with paralelising USB and SCSI scan.

Go read the rules of detection in the ATA Standard.

> Perhaps you can speed boot up with initrd+modules, possibly improving module
> inits (but they are probably good enough). With modules, I can imagine
> USB+SCSI scans running in paralel.

It does not work that way.
As a SuSEman you know better than to comment on things that you have no
clue about...

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.181 / U:0.168 seconds]