SubjectRE: bind() allowed to non-local addresses
Date
> mpeterson@calderasystems.com said:
> > There is NOT a bug in the JVM code that handles java.net.DatagramSock
> > et. Don't you find it a little compelling that the nearly identical
> > JVM code passes the Java Compatibility test suite on Linux 2.2,
> > Solaris, HPUX, SCO, and even Windows?
>
> If the JVM spec says that it 'MUST' fail when used on a non-local
> address,
> and the POSIX spec for bind does not say that it 'MUST' fail, then yes,
> there is a bug in the JVM if it assumes that the two are compatible.

"The bind() function will fail if:
[EADDRNOTAVAIL]
The specified address is not available from the local machine"
-- SuS 2

Now I suppose we can argue about what it means for an address to be
available, but I'd say the words "will fail" make that pretty clear.

DS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.169 / U:0.344 seconds]