SubjectRe: VM_RESERVED [was Re: mapping user space buffer to kernel address space]

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I'm fine to drop remap_page_range and the PG_reserved bit, but to do that I'd
> suggest to add a new per-VMA VM_RESERVED bitflags.

Sure. I have no problem at all with this suggestion: it's basically just a
hint to the VM layer that trying to page something out in this vma is
useless, as its backing store is in memory anyway.

Applied.

As to your rvmalloc()/rvfree() changes, I don't think they are safe as-is:
I think it's the right thing to do, but I don't trust the drivers to
maintain the right page counts. The code used to mark the pages as
reserved, which probably means that it hides bad drivers that do not do
proper reference counting - and I'm not willing to make that kind of
change at this point.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:1.275 / U:0.124 seconds]