SubjectRe: Inter-device-driver communication?
** Reply to message from Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.mandrakesoft.com> on
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:31:59 -0500 (CDT)

> You must describe -what- is being communicated, -how much- data is being
> communicated, and -how often- communication occurs before we can help
> suggest a method of driver<->driver communication.

Ok, let me try again!

The primary communication needs to be high-speed above all else. The amount of
data that needs to be sent is rather small, typically just a small structure.
However, there will be plenty of pointers in these structures, and these
pointers mostly point to buffers of about 1-8KB. Since the kernel is
monolothic, I don't expect there to be a need to translate virtual addresses.

As for how often, these calls are made probably as much as 50 times a second,
but irregularly. One of the drivers involved is attached to the VM, so it will
need to pass data along as often as the VM is called.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com