SubjectRe: Quota fixes and a few questions
  Hello.

> > "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Jan,

> > > While we're at it, I've attached a patch which I was sent which simply
> > > teaches quota about ext3 as a valid fs type in fstab. It appears to
> > > work fine for me --- let me know if you want me to validate a new
> > > quotautils on ext3.
> >
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > actually using quotacheck with these patches on an ext3 partition
> > results in:
> > quotacheck: error while opening /dev/sda3 (which is the file system in
> > question)
> >
> > Just using the first to (sub-)patches works for me.
>
> Hi again,
>
> I stumbled into another problem:
> When using ext3 with quotas the kjournald process stops responding and
> stays in DW state when the filesystem gets under heavy load. It is easy
> to reproduce:
> Just extract two or three larger tar.gz files at the same time to a ext3
> filesystem with activated quotas...
>
> Unfortunately there's nothing in the logs :-(
My suspition is that there is quota enabled on journal and write_dquot()
deadlocks as to write dquot we need to journal and to journal we need
to update quota which is locked for writing :(.
IMO journal file is one of candidates not to turn quotas on (same as
quota files). Probably some general function which would say on which
files shouldn't be quota enabled will be needed. Quota code will care
about quotafiles and filesystem about the other files if there are any.
Probably best place for this function would be struct dquot_operations but
that would mean to change handling of it. foo_read_super() will have
to fill in the dq_op pointer and quota will never alter it - currently
it's set in quota_on() (and it's also reset in quota_off() and tested
everywhere but I already fixed this in my quota fixes).
What do you think about it?

Honza

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.200 / U:0.224 seconds]