SubjectRe: Proposal: driver initialization pipelining
Felix von Leitner wrote:
> If we split the initialization into one "trigger the reset" routine and
> one "do the rest" routine, we could interleave initializations by first
> calling all the reset routines, then doing some static initializations
> and then call all the second halves of the initialization. Particularly
> SCSI and IDE scans need noticeable time and could possibly be done in
> parallel with the USB init, right?

Some of the initialization can definitely be done in parallel, but there
are all sorts of special cases, like devices which turn off interrupts
during init (IDE), and other fun tricks... Some of the delays during
init are timing sensitive, where you don't want to have to wait for the
tasklet to be called for completion.

--
Jeff Garzik | The difference between laziness and
Building 1024 | prioritization is the end result.