Subjectlow-latency and 2.4.0-test9
Greetings:

I've recently completed a series of tests with kernels patched for
low-latency. Results were most impressive: under 2 msec with a patched
2.2.10 kernel (using Ingo's patch) and under 4 msec on 2.4.0-test9 (with
Andrew Morton's patch).

Consider the fact that engineers at Cakewalk have recently stated that
5 msec is a best-case scenario for Win2K. Consider also the drive
towards the desktop that Linux appears to be making. *All* multimedia
applications would benefit from a low-latency kernel, so I'm throwing in
my $0.02US for the adoption of Andrew's work into the 2.4.x kernel
track.

I know this issue was "done in" on this list a while back, and I've
read some of that traffic in the archives. But for those of us involved
in Linux audio & video, this level of performance is a truly sweet
development. We need to convince Steinberg, Cakewalk, Logic, and any
other multimedia development houses that there are good solid technical
reasons for them to port their software to Linux. The myth of "UNIX !=
multimedia" is effectively destroyed by these tests.

I'm currently preparing an article to present my test results, but
I'll be happy to share them with anyone who's interested. The
low-latency work is *at least* as important as support for infrared, ham
radio, telephony, and 8-way SMP. I'm interested in hearing from anyone
else working in this domain, so feel free to write directly to me (I'm
not currently a member of the linux-kernel list).

I also realize that there was some acrimony regarding the issue. I'm
definitely not interested in that, and flames will be politely ignored.
The matter is serious, and I would like to convince Linus that it is to
everyone's benefit to include low-latency as a kernel compile-time
option (at least).

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.028 / U:0.524 seconds]