    SubjectRe: mapping user space buffer to kernel address space

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > IMHO pinning the page in the pte is less expensive and less complex than making
    > rawio and the VM aware of those issues. (remap_page_range is so clean
    > implementation exactly because it pins the page into the pte)

    You keep on bringing up remap_page_range(), and it does nothing of the

    remap_page_range() does one thing, and one thing only: it populates the
    page tables with physical page mappings.

    It has nothing to do with pinning.

    It so happens that the vmscan stuff won't ever remove a physical page
    mapping, but that's simply because such a page CANNOT be swapped out. How
    would you swap out the PCI space?

    I don't see why you consider that to have anything to do with kiobuf's.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.020 / U:6.768 seconds]