SubjectRe: Oops on booting stock RH6
> down a problem.  There's a stock Red Hat 6.2 install on it (Athlon 700
> Thunderbird, Asus A7V board, 128M RAM). Windows runs fine, go figure.

Easy to figure alas

> The system crashes on boot of the linux partition. Unfortunately, this
> does mean that we haven't been able to run ksymoops or get any of the
> system files, so all we've got is what's on screen, including any
> visible system messages before that point. (Obviously, the stock CDROM
> kernel boots fine, as we can install linux in the first place.)

Some of the kernels try and clear the processor serial number on any CPU
setting that cpu flag. Unfortunately AMD reused that bit for something else
and the cpu flag clear crashes the CPU.

Grab a newer kernel for that box (eg the RH 2.2.16 errata kernel or building
one yourself).

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.361 / U:1.448 seconds]