SubjectRe: now that NFS V3 is in 2.2.18pre, could we *please* add the ide-patch
thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:

> I know it crashes some via chipsets when autotuning (IIRC), but
> if it were added behind CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL it couldn't do any
> harm, could it?
>
> I stuck between HPT370 support in 2.4.x but non-working isdn lzs
> compression code and the reverse in 2.2.x. Just now I adapted Andre's
> 2.2.18-3 patch to 2.2.18pre15, and while it was only 30 minutes work,
> I'm not clear on why that is necessary.

It's my understanding that Andre does not have the time to backport
changes to 2.2.x at this time. I asked him nicely if he would consider
finding the time for future released kernels (like 2.2.18 and 2.2.19
skipping all the -preX) but did not get an answer. If you can make a
diff of your work available (did you just do the via chipset, or the
entire backport?) I know I would be happy. I tried fixing the .rej files
myself, but got confused as I really don't know what I was doing. I have
been forced to use the 2.4.x series kernels on some boxes I would rather
not because IDE throuput is pitiful without his patches. (notably my
Alpha 164SX with it's CY82C893 (IIRC) chipset. I have a Promise ATA-66
card running in it now but it will only do ATA33 (I think), does not
detect the drive at all during BIOS setup, and does not like to reboot
without being completely powered down first. About the best thing I can
say is that it does boot with all the Frankenhardware in it. BTW- My
Alpha is my NFS server, the 30 Gig IDE drive being the NFS shared drive,
so I do need both.

--
Chris Kloiber