Subject[OT] Re: Oops on booting stock RH6
Alison Stewart wrote:

> We built a new system a little while ago, and have been trying to track
> down a problem. There's a stock Red Hat 6.2 install on it (Athlon 700
> Thunderbird, Asus A7V board, 128M RAM). Windows runs fine, go figure.
>
> The system crashes on boot of the linux partition. Unfortunately, this
> does mean that we haven't been able to run ksymoops or get any of the
> system files, so all we've got is what's on screen, including any
> visible system messages before that point. (Obviously, the stock CDROM
> kernel boots fine, as we can install linux in the first place.)
>
> We have swapped out the motherboard and CPU with others of the same
> model, with no effect; we have also tried different RAM (and another
> install of RH6.2 on another hard drive) with no success. Plus multiple
> reinstalls, etc., etc. We're beginning to look narrowly at the power
> supply, by this point... :)
>
> Without proper info, it's a stab in the dark, but has anyone seen
> something like this before?

If you are having trouble with a Red Hat system and did not buy it, you
can still usually get some Red Hat specific help by joining the
appropriate mailing list. In the case of Red Hat 6.2 (Zoot) you can join
zoot-list@redhat.com. Send a message to zoot-list-request@redhat.com
with no subject and a body containing jut the word 'subscribe'.

In answer to your question, boot your system with the following at the
lilo prompt:

LILO: linux x86_serial_nr=1

This will avoid the Oops caused when the code intended to disable a
Pentium III serial number attempts to run on the newer Athlon
(Thunderbird or Duron). You can then upgrade to kernel-2.2.16-3 from Red
Hat's errata, or roll your own kernel. In any event you don't want to
use the stock 2.2.14-5.0 under any circumstances (very buggy).

--
Chris Kloiber