SubjectRe: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:09:32 -0600
>From: Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.org>
>To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, andre@linux-ide.org
>Subject: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
>

>Andre,
>
>Here's another one for the pile of CD/DVD problems....
>
>With ide-scsi loaded, and after exiting gnome (where I attempted to read
>an IDE CD-DVD drive from gnome), I see the following messages in the
>var/log/messages file that repeat over and over again:
>
>Jeff

I get similar errors logged all the time on my CDROM unit. Any
time a cd player program is running with no audio CD in the CDROM
unit, for some reason, the kernel likes to tell you about it on
every console, and via syslog too. A real PITA if you use a
snazzy GNOME CD player that runs all the time in the panel. I've
had to kill all CD programs in order to keep logs to a sane size.

It annoys me enough that I've considered removing all printk's
from the cdrom drivers... I have no idea what is at fault..