    SubjectRe: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
    On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    >Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:09:32 -0600
    >From: Jeff V. Merkey <>
    >Subject: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
    >Here's another one for the pile of CD/DVD problems....
    >With ide-scsi loaded, and after exiting gnome (where I attempted to read
    >an IDE CD-DVD drive from gnome), I see the following messages in the
    >var/log/messages file that repeat over and over again:

    I get similar errors logged all the time on my CDROM unit. Any
    time a cd player program is running with no audio CD in the CDROM
    unit, for some reason, the kernel likes to tell you about it on
    every console, and via syslog too. A real PITA if you use a
    snazzy GNOME CD player that runs all the time in the panel. I've
    had to kill all CD programs in order to keep logs to a sane size.

    It annoys me enough that I've considered removing all printk's
    from the cdrom drivers... I have no idea what is at fault..

    Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
    Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
    Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

    "If it isn't source, it isn't software." -- NASA

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.021 / U:0.772 seconds]