    SubjectRe: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
    On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    >Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:09:32 -0600
    >From: Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.org>
    >To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, andre@linux-ide.org
    >Subject: ATAPI goes haywire in 2.2.18 when CD-DVD drive accessed from Gnome
    >

    >Andre,
    >
    >Here's another one for the pile of CD/DVD problems....
    >
    >With ide-scsi loaded, and after exiting gnome (where I attempted to read
    >an IDE CD-DVD drive from gnome), I see the following messages in the
    >var/log/messages file that repeat over and over again:
    >
    >Jeff

    I get similar errors logged all the time on my CDROM unit. Any
    time a cd player program is running with no audio CD in the CDROM
    unit, for some reason, the kernel likes to tell you about it on
    every console, and via syslog too. A real PITA if you use a
    snazzy GNOME CD player that runs all the time in the panel. I've
    had to kill all CD programs in order to keep logs to a sane size.

    It annoys me enough that I've considered removing all printk's
    from the cdrom drivers... I have no idea what is at fault..

    Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
    Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
    Copyright 2000 all rights reserved