SubjectRe: iBCS with 2.4?
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, David Ford wrote:

> what's needed/where is iBCS for kernel 2.4?

Hi,

The ABI (iBCS is just an Intel-specific standard so the old name iBCS was
a misnomer while ABI is both platform and OS-independent) patch was
maintained during 2.3.x development series jointly by David Woodhouse,
myself and others at least until 2.3.99-preX. Then I left SCO and SCO
collapsed (more or less) and thus was no longer considered as a strong
player in OS market so I don't believe it is worth expending much effort
to emulate their OSes. I hope the same fate awaits Sun together with their
Solaris product (and any other commercial OS vendors, Microsoft will go
next) so I doubt it is worth emulating Solaris either -- there are more
exciting projects for the Linux kernel. So I personally am no longer
interested in ABI. I suspect the unimportance of non-Linux (legacy)
systems is what made Linus decide to not include it in the official
kernel, but I cc'd all people mentioned here to correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, the latest version of the patch I had you can download from:

http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/abi-bcp-2.3.99.patch.bz2

but ask Christoph Hellwig (of Caldera who bought SCO, I heard?) he may
have a more recent copy.

Regards,
Tigran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.040 / U:0.428 seconds]