SubjectRe: Updated Linux 2.4 Status/TODO List (from the ALS show)
" wrote:"
> * Use PCI DMA by default in IDE is unsafe (must not do so on via
> VPx, x < 3) (Vojtech Pavlik --- requires chipset tuning to be
> enabled according to Andre Hedrick --- we need to turn this on by
> default, if it is safe -- TYT)

Using PCI DMA is also generally broken for modular IDE. Unloading/reloading
the ide-probe-mod module still causes an oops when accessing disks
(NULL pointer dereference / Aiee, killing the interrupt handler / Panic)
and you are left with a dead system :(

I observe it with alim15xx, but probably problem is more general and
appears somewhere in IDE initialization by ide-probe-mod (IMHO).

I observe similar (but not exactly the same) problem in 2.2.17+ide.

I think that getting rid of the ide-probe-mod module (and linking it into
ide-mod) should solve the problem.
What do you think of it Andre ?

Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz
phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Technical University of Gdansk