    SubjectRe: Updated Linux 2.4 Status/TODO List (from the ALS show)
    Date
    "tytso@mit.edu wrote:"
    > * Use PCI DMA by default in IDE is unsafe (must not do so on via
    > VPx, x < 3) (Vojtech Pavlik --- requires chipset tuning to be
    > enabled according to Andre Hedrick --- we need to turn this on by
    > default, if it is safe -- TYT)

    Using PCI DMA is also generally broken for modular IDE. Unloading/reloading
    the ide-probe-mod module still causes an oops when accessing disks
    (NULL pointer dereference / Aiee, killing the interrupt handler / Panic)
    and you are left with a dead system :(

    I observe it with alim15xx, but probably problem is more general and
    appears somewhere in IDE initialization by ide-probe-mod (IMHO).

    I observe similar (but not exactly the same) problem in 2.2.17+ide.

    I think that getting rid of the ide-probe-mod module (and linking it into
    ide-mod) should solve the problem.
    What do you think of it Andre ?

    Andrzej