    SubjectRe: test10-pre1 problems on 4-way SuperServer8050
    Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca> writes:
    > David Wragg writes:
    > > mtrr.c is broken for machines with >=4GB of memory (or less than 4GB,
    > > if the chipset reserves an addresses range below 4GB for PCI).
    > >
    > > The patch against 2.4.0-test9 to fix this is below.
    > >
    > > Richard: Is there a reason you haven't passed this on to Linus, or do
    > > you want me to do it?
    >
    > Partly because I haven't had time to look at it, partly because I'm
    > not sure if it's needed (why, exactly?)

    Because mtrr.c throws away the top 4 bits of 36-bit physical
    addresses, it gives misleading /proc/mtrr output on machines with
    >=4GB of memory, which I think requires a fix on its own. But worse,
    if it tries to make MTRR changes on such a machine, you can get bogus
    MTRR settings. This can ruin a machine's performance (if real memory
    ends up write combined or uncached) or give hardware instabilities (if
    a device's MMIO area gets the wrong memory type).

    So far, this probably hasn't bitten too many people, since relatively
    few Linux x86 users have >=4GB memory, and /proc/mtrr hasn't usually
    been altered without explicit intervention. But with XFree86-4
    finally "out there" and more kernel drivers using MTRRs, this can only
    get worse.

    (Whether Tigran's performance problems are actually down to the mtrr.c
    issue, I don't know. It's not worth hypothesizing until we have
    accurate /proc/mtrr output.)

    When I checked the 2.2 version of my patch, it didn't involve a
    significant increase in code size.

    > and partly because I've
    > recently moved house and (STILL!) don't have IP access at home (not
    > even dialup) so I can't really look at stuff yet

    Ok. I'll wait for feedback from Tigran, and if I don't get anything
    negative I'll submit to Linus. The 2.2 version of my patch fixes
    problems for other people, VA Linux have included it in their kernel
    for a while with no problems that have been reported back to me), and
    it's silly that it isn't in 2.4testX. I should have addressed this a
    while ago, but I have my own distractions from kernel hacking.

    Later on, you can send a mtrr.c maintenance patch, if you like.

    I've just caught up on this whole thread, and I don't have any
    objections in principle to Zoltan's patch being used instead of mine,
    though I'd like to take a look at it first.

    Regards,
    David

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:3.148 / U:0.048 seconds]