Subjectsemantics past EOF for MAP_PRIVATE and MAP_SHARED...
There's a chunky comment near the beginning of filemap_nopage() that after a test and then following the source seems to me to be untrue:

/*
* Semantics for shared and private memory areas are different
* past the end of the file. A shared mapping past the last page
* of the file is an error and results in a SIGBUS, while a
* private mapping just maps in a zero page.
*/

I tried to read past on a MAP_PRIVATE and got a sigbus and the source seems to suggest no differentiation from MAP_SHARED in this respect.

What are the `correct' semantics?

Chris Q.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.092 / U:2.652 seconds]