lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2000]   [Oct]   [11]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH] OOM killer API (was: [PATCH] VM fix for 2.4.0-test9 & OOM handler)
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:

> that's why you have per process limits set. Eg, PAM makes this
> exceedingly easy with pam_limit.so -> edit /etc/security/limit.conf.
>
> this prevents at least 90% of OOM situations (ie individual leaky
> processes). eg netscape will then pop-up "can not allocate memory"
> messages and stop rendering pages instead of crashing your system.

I wasn't aware PAM settings affected daemons started up during boottime
but I will check into it, thank you.

BTW, you said it works only 90%, what are the other 10% of times it
doesn't work?

>
> --paulj
>

--------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce A. Locke
blocke@shivan.org

"The Internet views censorship as damage and routes around it"
www.eff.org www.peacefire.org

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.063 / U:24.560 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site