SubjectRe: Updated 2.4 TODO List -- new addition WAS(test9 PCI resourcecollisions (fwd)
On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 11:32:43PM -0500, Gnea wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:56:46 -0400 (EDT), jamal blurted forth:
>

> > Ted,
> >
> > Please add this to your list. Linux is unusable in these machines.
> > I have cc'ed Martin and Linus because they play in that PCI area.
>
> erm, looking at your list it says that you're using Redhat 7.0, which
> is known to ship with a buggy gcc, which is KNOWN to do nasty things
> with kernels.

Can you tell me (when it is KNOWN) what nasty things does that gcc do to
kernels? The thing that it does not compile vanilla 2.2.x kernels is not its
fault, and if you choose to either use K&R preprocessing in assembly (but
then no GNU extensions) or ANSI preprocessing plus you export memset/memcpy,
it will actually build and work, see H.J.'s patchlets:
http://www.lucon.org/linux/linux-2.2.14-gcc.patch
http://www.lucon.org/linux/linux-2.2.17-library.patch

The fact that we recommend using kgcc (especially for 2.2 kernels) does not
mean that the default gcc is broken, but simply that using it for kernels
has not been tested yet too much and there can be e.g. bugs in the way
kernel uses inline assembly and the likes.

> Linux version 2.4.0-test9-JHS1 (root@pcard1fr.ca.nortel.com) (gcc
> version 2.96 2
> 0000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)) #2 Thu Oct 5 11:59:31 EDT 2000
>
> yeah, that pretty much sums it up right there.. you may want to try
> something else.

See above, it does not sum up anything. The only thing is that if somebody
is reporting a bug on lkml, he'd just better first made sure it is
reproduceable with kgcc as well (bug reports for kernels compiled with
gcc 2.95 have been handled this way for a long time on lkml).

Jakub

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.811 / U:0.240 seconds]