    SubjectRe: tty_[un]register_devfs putting 3K structures on the stack
    From
       Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:22:11 -0500
    From: Jeff Dike <jdike@karaya.com>

    tytso@MIT.EDU said:
    > And it's allocating a tty_struct for a really dumb reason, too. It's
    > just using it so it cna call tty_name.

    > Just replace the call to tty_name with something like this:

    > sprintf(buf, driver->name, idx + driver->name_base)

    > and make the obvious change to avoid using tty.device, and you can
    > avoid need to allocate a tty_struct altogether.

    Are you willing to consider this a critical bug that deserves to be fixed
    before 2.4.0?

    If the problem only impacts User-mode Linux, it's hard for me to justify
    hanging the "critical" label on it. However I'm willing to look at the
    patch, bless it, and send it on to Linus (who as you know sometimes is a
    softy about such things. :-)

    I'm pretty sure that we'd be able to get it into 2.4.x, x > 0 at the
    very least, since the patch is highly localized, won't break anything,
    and is easy to test for correctness.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.027 / U:124.112 seconds]