SubjectRe: Microsoft Withdraws Linux NTFS Threats
On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I will again be able to offer these NTFS tools to repair NTFS
> partitions. Please begin reforwarding requests from folks with
> trashed disks to me, and I'll be able to assist folks.
> Microsoft has apologized and withdrawn their statements.

I guess they realise that pissing off their own users
isn't doing them much good ;)

It's good to see that people will again be able to use
Linux and MS products at the same time without having to
be too afraid of being left in the dark when the MS side
of things is getting trouble ...

> We are very happy this thread ended on a happy note, instead of
> in court. Microsoft will take no action against us for NTFS
> development on Linux, which can now proceed without concern.

Good thing for the users of the NTFS filesystem.

Maybe MS made this decision because they weren't willing to
force users into making the choice of either continuing to
use NT or permanently ditching it without the chance of going
back ;)

(and when somebody has an NTFS volume and wants to use Linux
with it, it's not that hard to guess which way they're migrating
their system)

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/