SubjectRe: Microsoft Withdraws Linux NTFS Threats
Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > I will again be able to offer these NTFS tools to repair NTFS
> > partitions. Please begin reforwarding requests from folks with
> > trashed disks to me, and I'll be able to assist folks.
> > Microsoft has apologized and withdrawn their statements.
>
> I guess they realise that pissing off their own users
> isn't doing them much good ;)
>
> It's good to see that people will again be able to use
> Linux and MS products at the same time without having to
> be too afraid of being left in the dark when the MS side
> of things is getting trouble ...
>
> > We are very happy this thread ended on a happy note, instead of
> > in court. Microsoft will take no action against us for NTFS
> > development on Linux, which can now proceed without concern.
>
> Good thing for the users of the NTFS filesystem.
>
> Maybe MS made this decision because they weren't willing to
> force users into making the choice of either continuing to
> use NT or permanently ditching it without the chance of going
> back ;)
>
> (and when somebody has an NTFS volume and wants to use Linux
> with it, it's not that hard to guess which way they're migrating
> their system)

They semed very sad that they had damaged their relationship with me,
and Linda was more concerned as to whether I was still angry at them
more so than any issues with their IP. I really like a lot of the folks
who work up there, particularly Jim Allchin and David Geobel (and Dan
Neault -- he's really a great guy) and I think they did not like the
idea that one of their golden geese might fly away forever. I am happy
to work with them moving forward. I just don't respond well to threats,
and never have -- but who does.

They are really stressed up there right now with the DOJ stuff and
everything that's happenned, and I think the whole Linux thing is also
getting them down. We'll see where it goes, but I am gad they are
doing what's right here and putting their customers first. If an
MS customer wnats to use Linux and W2K, they should be helping them, and
I think perhaps they have come to realize this now.

:-)

Jeff