    SubjectRe: Standard Linux (Was What is up with Redhat 7.0?)

    There is no need for a law requiring a 'standard' kernel in any
    distro, and there is no chance people would follow any such rule.

    So long as people know their distro kernel is patched and, if they
    want to apply some 3rd party patch, we advise them they may want to
    obtain and install 'clean' sources from This is the
    approach I take in my kernel-config chapters for the Unleashed books,
    and it is also the advice given on the RedHat website (or at least it
    was last I looked)

    Anyone who knows they need and will apply a 3rd party patch likely
    knows how to obtain and compile a fresh kernel (or can follow my
    chapter ;)

    A case in point is the Trelos Win4Linux windows 'emulator'. This is
    shipped as a patch against what I call "the cannonical sources" and
    fails on some of the more exotic distros. Frankly, I don't think
    Trelos should bother shipping 'distro flavours' of their patch, and
    instead, distros should ship a diff-set which would incrementally
    migrate cannonical sources to match their distro package. That way,
    if I want Trelos' software, I get the sources, patch them
    for Trelos, then selectively add what I want from RedHat or Mandrake
    or Debian or whatever. IMHO, this has a far greater chance of success
    across a wider range of scenarios.

    However it goes, though, it is not our problem, it is entirely up to
    the distros to sort this out among themselves and the ISVs.

    Gary Lawrence Murphy <>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
    T(!c)Inc Business Innovation through Open Source
    M:I-3 - Documenting the Linux kernel:
    "You don't play what you know; you play what you hear." --- Miles Davis

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.021 / U:15.152 seconds]