SubjectRe: Kernel panic: Unable to handle kernel paging request
I have noticed this behaviour as well with any newer pre 2.4 kernels on a Compaq Proliant 3000
with a Smart2-DH controller and, just recently, with test9-pre7 on my home system. It always
happens during high disk activity. The problem I have is that usually it starts scrolling several
pages of errors (or plain garbage) and I cannot get enough to submit any useful information.
One system is SCSI (the Proliant) and one is IDE, so I cannot even limit it to that. The only
commonality that I can see is that there is always high disk I/O when the panic occurs.

On 1 Oct 2000, at 19:03 Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
>
> > I have a Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (kernel 2.2.17) installed on a
> > Cyrix 6x86, sometimes it panics. As far I can detect the panics
> > occur when there is much disk activity (updatedb and
> > checksecurity are in progress). I was able to get the log of the
> > panic via the serial console.
>
> Do you have smbfs mounted when find/updatedb is running? 2.2.18pre fixes
> an old bug where smbfs didn't check the length of the path it was building
> vs the buffer used to store the path. Depending on what you have mounted
> this can cause all sorts of fun things to happen.
>
> If you had not used smbfs since booting then that is not it, and then I
> know nothing about it.
>
> /Urban
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.035 / U:2.284 seconds]