    SubjectRe: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1
    On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Erik Andersen wrote:
    > On Sat Jan 08, 2000 at 06:11:39PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > isn't one), but do have the ability to load and execute a block of code
    > > > (the kernel) from the network. This patch allows the kernel, once it's
    > >
    > > Then they can support an initrd. You can have the initrd compiled into or
    > > appended to the kernel image.
    > >

    > This makes it terribly difficut for (embedded) distributions. Right now
    > for powerpc, for example, I have to compile up and piece together the
    > initrd, then compile the initrd into the kernel. This works fine for my
    > embedded dist. installer, but then as part of the install process we
    > need to adjust the _installed_ initrd (since there is no disk on the
    > boxes in question) to handle things like IP addresses and passwords and
    > such. To get this newly adjusted initrd to boot means I have to search
    > for the initrd's gzip magic in the kernel, and then binary edit the
    > kernel, and have the kernel whine on boot about trailing garbage in the
    > initrd. This is very messy.
    >
    > I really, really, would like to avoid having the initrd compiled into
    > the kernel. De-coupled is good, and IMHO the initrd-tftp patch is a good
    > thing. Embedded folks like this patch!

    I really liked the patch at the first glance, too. But Alan is correct,
    you can just append a very small initrd to the kernel which does
    dhcp (or bootp) and then loads the real rootfs ramdisk via tftp into
    ram1 - entirely in userspace. Yes, someone needs to do this very small
    neat first-stage initrd, but it seems at least possible to me.

    Richard.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.033 / U:31.232 seconds]