SubjectRe: Data corruption reading IDE CD-ROM in 2.2.x
On Sun, Jan 09 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> My CD-ROM (SONY CDU4011) will not corrupt anything when used with DMA enabled.
> It'll just froze the whole system. As it does this in both all versions of
> Linux I've tried and in Windows98 I suspect hardware problem ...
> Since I am used few different hard disks with DMA for more the year here I
> think it's CD-ROM problem and not MB problem.

I have a similar Sony that works just fine with DMA here.

> P.S. BTW is it possible to turn off DMA usage when there are no CD in drive ?
> hdparm -d 0 giving 'No medium found' and when I forget to disable DMA before
> first try to mount CD I'm getting total system freeze :-(( Really annoying ...

hdparm should open O_NONBLOCK for CD-ROM, that is why it fails. Andre
carried a hdparm once and it had my patch for that included.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer