    SubjectRe: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1
    On Sat Jan 08, 2000 at 06:11:39PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > isn't one), but do have the ability to load and execute a block of code
    > > (the kernel) from the network. This patch allows the kernel, once it's
    >
    > Then they can support an initrd. You can have the initrd compiled into or
    > appended to the kernel image.

    This makes it terribly difficut for (embedded) distributions. Right now
    for powerpc, for example, I have to compile up and piece together the
    initrd, then compile the initrd into the kernel. This works fine for my
    embedded dist. installer, but then as part of the install process we
    need to adjust the _installed_ initrd (since there is no disk on the
    boxes in question) to handle things like IP addresses and passwords and
    such. To get this newly adjusted initrd to boot means I have to search
    for the initrd's gzip magic in the kernel, and then binary edit the
    kernel, and have the kernel whine on boot about trailing garbage in the
    initrd. This is very messy.

    I really, really, would like to avoid having the initrd compiled into
    the kernel. De-coupled is good, and IMHO the initrd-tftp patch is a good
    thing. Embedded folks like this patch!

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/