    SubjectRe: /proc guidelines and sysctl
    On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 11:49:09AM -0800, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
    > Because system calls are performance-sensitive.

    When I start top and press down the space bar (starting keypress repeat),
    then this top process sucks up ALL CPU POWEER of my p-ii 333, and STILL is
    unable to cope with ~30 refreshes per second.

    Incidentally, top only uses sycalls to access this information it requires
    (namely open/read/close ;) IT's just that it needs _hundresds_ or even
    _thousands_ of syscalls.

    And top is a program that is used very often.

    Now, I expect only a moderate performance improvement from /proc to using
    sysctl, but nevertheless, a /proc-based sysctl would be the worst of both
    worlds: binary format, dog-slow.

    > And flattening it out and trying to number it does not work. Never has,
    > never will. It's not an enumerated space.

    Definitely.

    --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.022 / U:0.040 seconds]