SubjectRe: [Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels
almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch writes:

> What I basically want to do is to use a Linux kernel as the
> second-stage boot loader. This (supposedly stable) kernel can then
> load the "real" kernel (and possibly initrd) from wherever they may
> be hiding (e.g. RAID, tftp through an IPsec tunnel, you name it).
> Then it passes any useful information it may have gathered to far
> (e.g. data from the real-mode BIOS, SCSI bus scan results, etc.) to
> the new kernel and boots it.

I think a kernel as second-stage bootloader is overkill. I think people
should rather work merging the advantages of LILO and those of GRUB, to
get a DECENT bootloader. What I hate most about LILO is the unawareness
of file systems and the ugly menu, what GRUB lacks, is the ability of
passing in "next-time" boot-parameters of lilo -R way - which prevents
many people of switching from LILO to GRUB.

Besides that, it would be really cool if you could just replace a
running kernel by a new one, though I think it would require shutting
down all services prior to that. Still, not going through the BIOS boot
procedure would be an advantage...

Find GRUB at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/grub/ (that is from memory, in case
it's wrong, search for it at freshmeat.net).

--
Matthias Andree

Hi! I'm the infamous .signature virus!
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!