    SubjectRe: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"
    On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Tony den Haan wrote:

    >> >ext3 is not going in, but reiserfs might. Unlike ext3, raiserfs actually
    >> >has gotten a lot of real-world testing: SuSE seems to be using it in
    >> >production environments with good results. It's still 2.2.x-based, so it
    >> >may not make it, but it is at least a potential thing.
    >
    >huh? i've been using both for a while now, both feel good.

    Again, Linus has stated it has not had enough testing, and the
    author doesn't claim it to be ready by far. The author is the
    one who will decide to send it to Linus, and if he doesn't think
    it is ready, and Linus doesn't, then no user comment will change
    that.

    >a journaling reiser is not (much) faster than ext3,

    I can't comment on this as I've not tried either yet.
    I downloaded reiserfs a month or so ago but didn't use it due to
    the poor wording and ambiguity of the licence document. Since
    then I understand the Licence has been fixed up, and is all hunky
    dory. I very much look forward to testing reiserfs now, and hope
    it is stable enough, and can be shoved into 2.3. If not though,
    no problem waiting...

    >but seems easier to implement/maintain since it's ext2 based.
    >they both recovered nicely after crashes.

    I think the level of testing that Linus is refering to is
    WIDESPREAD testing by LOTS of people on various hardware
    configurations with and without SMP, with and without the various
    different levels of RAID, and also on busy systems that take a
    beating.

    Some regression testing that is..

    >does this mean "forget ext3"? can't they coexist? does fine here

    No, I doubt it means that at all. It means "ext3 is not going
    into 2.3, and reiserfs just might go into 2.3". In the 2.5
    development cycle both will likely be in. If 2.4 comes out in
    May or June as I suspect it will, devel on 2.5 will likely start
    in Aug/Sept. In the mean time if ext3 or any other FS's
    stabilize to the point of inclusion, and don't touch anything
    other than themselves, I'm sure Linus will add them to later
    versions of 2.4. That is how QNX got in, as well as other stuff
    in the past. The 2.2.14 kernel in fact just added some new
    driver for some telephony device...

    Take care,
    TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in
    which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

    http://www.freemware.org

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.024 / U:61.196 seconds]