SubjectRE: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"
Date

Chris:
I am not sure if you have been following this thread of
messages. Some of this information I have included before.

American Megatrends AMIBIOS 6/30/98
3dfx voodoo3 2000 PCI
ADM K6/2 350
64Meg
Maxtor 6.1Gig IDE

Now for some debugging facts:
1) The system will boot the RedHat install kernel 5.2,6.0, & 6.1
without any problems.
2) When I replace the AMD K6/2 350 with a Cyrix 6x86 266 then
the problem linux kernel boots fine.
3) When I replace the AMD K6/2 350 with another AMD K6/2 350
the kernel hangs as reported before (no change).
4) I have swapped the video card with a Trident SVGA card that
works fine in another linux system, and the kernel still
hangs.
5) Thinking that I had some kind of "speed" bug in my
motherboard I under clocked the AMD K6/2 350 at 266,
(same as the Cyrix that works), but it still hangs the
same way.
6) This system runs Win95,98, and MSDOS6.22 without any
problems (this isn't saying much, but I thought I
should include it).

Now I am still not sure that I don't have a hardware problem, knowing
that it can be very hard to prove with this kind of hang. Some of
my questions are:

A) If my hardware is bad then why does the RedHat install
kernel boot just fine? What can be different with that
kernel build?
B) If the "int $0x10" is using the part of the BIOS that
comes from the video card then when I swapped the
other good video card in shouldn't it affect the
problem?
C) If this problem is caused by my
video/motherboard/shadow-config then why does it
work with the Cyrix CPU?

If I had another motherboard then I would swap it, but I don't
want to spend any more money on this hardware. I don't even have
a strong idea that this is a hardware problem. You say that the
video shadow settings might affect this problem? I may try
adjusting some of those in the BIOS. I am open to any other
input or ideas.

Thanks

Todd Markley