SubjectRE: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Markley, Todd wrote:

> Dick:
> I installed version 2.3.40 of the linux kernel and
> installed your patch. The result is that it still hangs
> the same way. So now I have continued to add debugging
> prints to video.S to find the exact location of the hang.
> The result is that it locks up in the "basic_detect:"
> routine at the first "int $0x10". It looks to me like
> this routine is trying to identify the type of display.
> So I tried to help out a little by changing the subroutine
> to read this way:
>
> basic_detect:
> movb $0x1a, %al # 1a means VGA...
> incb adapter
> incb adapter
> ret
>

> If I understand what the routine is doing then this should
> return as if a VGA was detected. (I may have missed something
> here, but it boots ok on another system.) The kernel will now
> do the "vga=ask", and I can select mode zero. Next the system
> hangs in the "restore_screen:" subroutine. Do you have any new
> ideas? Is this "int $0x10" function in the motherboard BIOS or
> in the video card BIOS? Could this problem have anything to do
> with video BIOS shadow settings?

First, look at /usr/src/linux/.config . Make certain that no
DEC Alpha stuff is enabled. Here is an example.

#
# Video For Linux
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set
# CONFIG_DTLK is not set
# CONFIG_R3964 is not set
# CONFIG_APPLICOM is not set

#
# ONLY for DEC Alpha architectures
#
CONFIG_FT_ALPHA_CLOCK=0
# CONFIG_DRM is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is not set

Next if Video BIOS shadow is enabled, at least temporarily turn it off.
Actually if any BIOS shadow is enabled, turn it off. the BIOS is
only used during boot so any shadowing will do nothing once Linux is
up except waste RAM which Linux could be using.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.39 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.226 / U:0.248 seconds]