SubjectRe: On optimising the scheduler for large run queues
Jamie Lokier wrote:
> [lots of good stuff]

i think this is one of those philosophical areas where a decision
one way or another needs to be made.

other commercial unix systems (hp, sun, ibm, sequent) tend to split
into two camps as follows:

1. those that optimise for performance, but degrade badly under intense
load.

2. those that optimise for intense load, but don't have top-notch
performance under low-load.

now, my bias is towards #2, because i am more interested in server
systems, and from a sizing, tuning and sysadmin perspective they
are easier to plan and manage. however, this is probably not the
right thing for a desktop operating system.

so, which way is linux going? you tell me - there doesn't seem to
be a "right" answer here. this may well mean there needs to be two
schedulers, one with ultra-low overhead for desktops, and another,
with better scalability, for servers.

jan-simon.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.373 / U:0.508 seconds]