SubjectRe: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"
"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> Okay, you found the procedure that's hanging. Now, I glanced through
> video.S and I see where somebody has decided to use an undocumented
> op-code. At line 1010, there is a GS segment override for LODSW.
>
> Segment overrides are not specified to work with the ix86 string
> opcodes.

No. Segment overrides work with string _load_ instructions, and that's
documented. They do not work with string _store_ instructions:

Pentium Processor Family Developoer's Manual, Volume 3, Chapter 4.6.2
[STRING OPERATIONS]
<<<<<<<<
The ESI register points to source operands. By default, the ESI register
is used with the DS segment register. A segment-override prefix allows
the ESI register to be used with the CS, SS, ES, FS or GS segment
registers. The EDI register points to destination operands. It uses the
segment indicated by the ES segment register; no segment override is
allowed.

--
Manfred