    SubjectRe: buggy GFP_KERNEL allocators
    On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Ben LaHaise wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > > + current->state = TASK_RUNNING; /* We *must* do this before touching userspace! */
    > >
    > > This smells suspiciously. Page fault code should not stuck only because
    > > task state is not running. It contaradicts all the idea behind wait queues.
    > >
    > > Essentially, fault is like signal. It must move task state to running.
    > Applying the change to the page fault handler might just be the
    > right thing to do, and in fact it would make sense in 2.3 to have
    > the fault handler also switch to lazy tlb mode if the task has to
    > perform io. The fault handler does neither of these things right
    > now, and in fact this was causing occasional stuck tasks if the
    > fault ended up calling schedule before changing current->state.

    Won't we confuse lots of pieces of code when their
    TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE process is returned to them as
    a TASK_RUNNING one?

    I'm somewhat afraid that we will break code whichever
    way we go. That's why I've added a no-sleep workaround
    to __get_free_pages() (hey, this isn't happening often
    enough to run us out of memory) and added the printk()
    to warn us about potentially dangerous code.

    of people. That is its real strength.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:8.408 seconds]