From: Richard B. Johnson
To: Markley, Todd
Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu'
Sent: 1/25/00 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Markley, Todd wrote:
[SNIPPED...]

Just copy bzImage to a raw floppy, i.e.,
`cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /dev/fd0`

The root-device is probably be wrong so it will fail to mount root, but
the floppy should boot, uncompress, etc. This will tell you where to
look for other problems.

If the symptoms are the same, the kernel is probably broken in the
compile. You need to make sure you have the most recent tools. Look
in ../linux/Documentation/Changes.

If the system boots, but can't mount the root file-system, just
`rdev` either the floppy itself or the bzImage file and do it again.

`rdev /tmp/bzImage /dev/whatever_your_root_is`
`cp /tmp/bzImage /dev/fd0`

It should boot and, if your root-fs driver has been compiled in,
mount the root. The machine is now working normally. It just didn't
boot from the hard-disk. This would show that something about the
lilo configuration file isn't right.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.026 / U:0.092 seconds]