    SubjectRE: inodes are no longer constant across VFAT mounts at kernel 2.2.14
    Date
    Hi David & Alan

    Thanks for your response.

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Norman Back wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Alan
    > >
    > > I'm not sure what you mean by 'legal', however it does
    > break software that
    > > depends on constant inodes such as tar -g. This means I
    > can't use linux to
    > > do incremental backups of vfat filestore (or any other fat
    > filestore) using
    > > tar -g. I see this as a step backwards for fat filestore
    > compatibility. Is
    > > there someway I can undo the change?
    >
    > Yes. Downgrade to an older kernel. tar simply wasn't designed for
    > file-systems clearly not designed at all, such as fat/vfat.
    >
    > Maybe tar --newer [date] can do the trick for you. Of course, the best
    > idea is not to use fat/vfat to store anything important...

    Hmm. I have a dual boot PC and use linux to back everything up to another
    box. Unfortunately I need to run Windows 95 and it doesn't seem to work with
    ext2. I've had another look at tar --newer. It isn't good enough. It can
    miss files requiring archive.

    For example:
    mkdir dir1
    # place lots of files under dir1
    tar --newer
    mv dir1 dir2 # dir2 has dir1's modification time
    mkdir dir1
    # place lots of files under dir1
    tar --newer # does not archive dir2 so dir2's files will be lost on recovery
    of drive.

    However if tar -g had been used instead of tar --newer dir2's contents would
    be archived correctly because it checks the name and inode against the
    'snapshot' file.

    Any other sugestions? I don't like the idea of retaining an old version of
    kernel simply for archiving. It is possible that some later enhancement of
    linux (or fat filestore) will preclude its use in the future.

    > /David Weinehall
    > _ _
    > // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
    > // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the
    > winter sky //
    > \> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

    Norman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.025 / U:2.924 seconds]