    SubjectRe: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM
    Just to jump in here:
    1.5% slowdown on a workstation is insignificant.
    1.5% speedup on a heavy duty server is quite good.

    If something like this gets included it would
    be appropriate and desirable to have the
    workstation optimization available from
    the source level (like the IDE driver
    optimizations). This has two positive effects:
    1. The single-user optimizations are available and
    can be used by the distributions without custom patches.
    2. It gives the home "hot-rodder" a hook into learning
    about the scheduler and an incentive to find it.

    Daniel Taylor

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Giovanni Faglioni wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Phillip Ezolt wrote:
    >
    > > > Hondreds of tasks is just not a typical (perhaps even realistic)
    > > > workload.
    > >
    > > Yes it is.
    >
    > Maybe we should let the SysAdmin (user) decide
    > what (s)he's typical workload is. How about a
    > compile-time kernel option ?
    >
    > This will make both the IBM (server benchmarking)
    > folks and the casual home user happy.
    >
    > --Gio'
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.022 / U:30.032 seconds]