SubjectRe: eepro100 with 2.2.14, and 2.3.39 slot problem ! ( BUG?)
Andrej Todosic wrote:

> hello everyone ,
>
> i just reread the whole thread and saw someone say he moved the card from a
> shared isa/pci
> slot to another and it fixed the problem
> Just worked for me .
>
> this means there is a specific situation localised to A machine which is
> reproduced
> only when a card is in a shared slot .
>
> In my case it is a tyan fx mb with a pii266
> but i also reproduced the problem on a asus p2b-f
>
> anyways this should be fixed if it is software fixable.
>
> I have a firewall, running 3 ethernet cards and one scsi card on a 5 pci
> slot motherboard .
>
> Now with this i have no choice but to put the scsi card on the shared slot ,
>
> since you should never use the first pci slot if you have an agp card in .
> thats the machine with the asus p2bf in my case .
> I actually realised the problem was the slot when i read the mail and
> remembered only 1 out of 3 eepro's was behaving.
>
> comments ?
>
> Does anyone need any more info on this ? I ll be glad to provide .
>
> PS whoever has the problem with 2214/15pre should check this as i am
> convinced slot change ( if appropriate )
> should fix it for now.
>
> Andrej

You say a few times "shared slot", as if the ISA and PCI slots are
physicly connected on the mother board. This isn't really the case, it
is just called a shared slot because ISA cards sit one was and PCI sit
the other, so they both end up opening through the same whole in the
back of the case. The closest the ISA bus gets to the PCI bus is
through an ISA/PCI bridge chip.

While I have never seen this problem myself, I would guess that it is
closer to being related to actual position on the PCI bus. Different
PCI slots get different IRQ assignments. Or more likely, you said this
board has 5 PCI slots plus AGP, it probally has a PCI to PCI bridge in
there that may not be functioning correctly.

You also said that the first PCI slot should not be used if there is an
AGP card install. What is your reasoning behind that?

I have a machine with 1 AGP, 4 PCI, 3 ISA (one of the PCI/ISA is
shared). I have an AGP video card, a PCI video capture card (in the
slot next to the AGP because they are ribbon cabled together), a PCI
sound card, a PCI nic, and a PCI SCSI card. Then an ISA modem and an
ISA sound card (that also has a SCSI controller on it). I have no
problems at all.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.046 / U:1.800 seconds]