    SubjectRe: IRQ clash problems with 2.2.14 and 2.3.33?
    Quoting Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com):

    > ISA cards cannot share interrupts with other devices. I don't know why it
    > would work under Windows.

    I think the ACPI issue is a red herring. I didn't realise it was enabled
    when I built the kernel and was surprised when I found it trying to share
    an IRQ with the network card. It's not enabled any more, but the card
    still doesn't work :(

    > What does /proc/interrupts look like?

    I'm retyping this from the screen, since I can't get onto it over the
    network. I've checked for errors and don't see any, but you know how it
    is...

    With 2.2.14, I get:

    0: XT-PIC timer
    1: XT-PIC keyboard
    2: XT-PIC cascade
    7: XT-PIC soundblaster
    9: XT-PIC eth0
    10: XT-PIC aic7xxx
    11: XT-PIC bttv
    12: XT-PIC PS/2 mouse
    13: XT-PIC fpu
    14: XT-PIC ide0

    2.3.33 gives me:

    0: XT-PIC timer
    1: XT-PIC keyboard
    2: XT-PIC cascade
    7: XT-PIC soundblaster
    9: XT-PIC eth0
    10: XT-PIC aic7xxx
    11: XT-PIC uhci, bttv
    12: XT-PIC PS/2 mouse
    13: XT-PIC fpu
    14: XT-PIC ide0

    As far as I can ascertain, under Win98, I have:

    0 timer
    1 keyboard
    2 interrupt controller
    3 COM2
    4 COM1
    5 Maxtrox G200 and Hollywood Plus MP3 decoder
    6 Floppy controller
    7 Soundblaster 16
    8 Clock
    9 3c509
    10 AHA2940
    11 WinTV and PCI/USB controller
    12 Mouse
    13 FPU
    14 Primary IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE Controller

    I see arp requests from the machine on the network, and I see responses from
    the remote systems to those requests. Clearly the kernel doesn't see them
    though, and the IRQ count as displayed in /proc/interrupts never gets
    above zero.

    I'm building 2.3.39 as I type, but I don't hold out a whole lot of
    hope for anything different. After that I'm going to start pulling boards
    out until the card starts working again, but I don't think that's going to
    help me understand the problem much, nor to fix it. If it didn't all
    work under win98, I'd assume there was a hardware problem of some sort and
    indeed that could still be the case. I just don't know how to move forward
    with this now.

    James.
    --
    "Yield to temptation -- | Consultancy: james@cloud9.co.uk