    SubjectRe: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM
    Date
    Thursday, January 20, 2000 3:14 PM
    Peter Rival <frival@zk3.dec.com> wrote :
    > No offense, but it is this type of thinking that will keep Linux out of
    the
    > datacenter. What you must say it is not a typical (or realistic) workload
    _for
    > me_. Hundreds of tasks is trivial here - we have systems running with
    well over
    > 100 users actively working that are two or more generations old (that's a
    much
    > bigger thing for Alpha than for Intel). On our newer systems we fully
    expect
    > hundreds, if not thousands, of tasks. The more commercially accepted
    Linux
    > becomes, the more common large configurations are going to be, and we
    should be
    > thinking about that now - not when we're being shot all over creation for
    not
    > doing what everyone said we could (ala WinNT).

    I can only agree here given that there are practically no costs to sustain
    under normal situations.
    And improvements are concrete under high load.

    Cheers,
    Davide.

    --
    Debian, the freedom in freedom.