    Subject2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.
    I've been using 2.2.14 since it came out, and it has had a
    sluggish feel to it at times. When switching from X to the
    console and back often I have to wait anywhere up to 5-10 seconds
    for my mouse to move, or to be able to type, or for the screen to
    stabilize. In netscape, if I'm clicking on a pulldown or
    bookmark folder on the personal toolbar folder, I have to wait
    up to 5-10 seconds as well for it to open up. It seems as if it
    is pulling it out of swap space or something. X starts up slow
    as well, and when PINE checkpoints my 20Mb email folders it takes
    much longer or so it seems.

    If I switch back to an identically configured 2.2.13 or 2.2.12
    the "problem" goes away and things seem smooth again. I don't
    know if there were scheduler changes or not in 2.2.14, but it
    sure doesn't seem very interactive.

    My system is a K6-200 with 96 Megs of RAM. The kernels that I'm
    using are stock Official kernels from with NO
    external patches and NO 3rd party hacks or kernel modules. Just
    a plain Jane kernel.

    Anyone else experience loss of interactivity and slowdowns on

    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate
    Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

    Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in
    which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:15.048 seconds]