SubjectIBM's findings
I think by now everyone's seen the IBM article on Linux and Java and
such.
I think they make a number of very good points. Anyways, is anybody
going to integrate their patch for the improved task structure in the
2.3 series? Additionally, I think they make some good points about a
many-to-one implementation. I have some of my own thoughts on that.
Many to one is certainly useful, but I have an idea that's a bit
different. Perhaps a way to arrange threads in recursive clusters would
be possible. The scheduler then goes through the top level clusters, and
decides on each one's goodness value. Then, if the top priority option
is a process, it simply selects it. If it's a cluster, it runs the
goodness selection again on all it's members, and so on. This way, we
can go from a linear relationship with time/processes to a logarithmic
one (assuming there is a good infrastructure in place for allowing
processes to do this) This gives the scheduling benefits of green
threads without all the kludges.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.036 / U:0.196 seconds]