SubjectRe: [patch] Support for 3Com PCI modem + Generic PCI serials
   Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:52:01 +0100
From: Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>

But it looks fairly good on the other hand. The Panacom is a
'Communication' class device, and thus has to be handled via the table.

I'm currently on the road so I can't check on the examples of the
memory-mapped I/O boards, or the ones which use odd spacing for the
ports. The ones which I listed just happened to be the ones in my crash
and burn machine.

But the Sealevel and 3Com both say they are 'Serial - 16550' class and
prog-if. For these, using all i/o regions as serial ports will work
just fine. I checked the current table, they don't need any extra init
and SPCI_FL_BASE_TABLE is defined for them, and they have 115200 base
baud. I think the same is true for most of the modems.

So, this is good and speaks in favor of the generic support.

Yes, but I still don't know how many ports the Sealevel card has. And
not all of the boards have 115200 base baud. I'll have to check them
too, since I think they are also listed as a "Serial" class.

I suppose we can just make the wild guess that it uses 115200 base baud,
and that there's only one port supported by the board (unless it's
overridden by the table). I don't think this is justified by the PCI
spec (which I consider a massive defect in the PCI spec), but it might
be the best we can do. The question is how accurate this guess will be
for PCI modems. I don't have an adequate sample size of PCI modems that
are real modems and not winmodems.

- Ted

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans