SubjectRe: vger rejecting messages from mediaone
In <20000117021703.B1570@michaelbrown.customer.jump.net> Michael E Brown (michaelbrown@jump.net) wrote:
MB> Read Alan Cox's posts on the subject. According to him, the return from ORBS is
MB> different depending on what type of blocking is being done.

It's true but not all true. For mail.linux.com there are record in blacklist
-- cut --
[khim@mccme khim]$ host 210.201.200.216.relays.orbs.org.
210.201.200.216.relays.orbs.org has address 127.0.0.4
[khim@mccme khim]$ host -t TXT 210.201.200.216.relays.orbs.org.
210.201.200.216.relays.orbs.org descriptive text "above.net has multiple open relays and has blocked the ORBS tester."
-- cut --
and different one
-- cut --
[khim@mccme khim]$ host -t TXT 210.201.200.216.ok.orbs.org.
210.201.200.216.ok.orbs.org is a nickname for 2.0.127.127.ok.orbs.org
2.0.127.127.ok.orbs.org descriptive text "This server has been tested by ORBS and appears to be secure against relaying"
-- cut --
in whitelist.

Whitelist should have preference over blacklist but it's not used in ORBS sample
files at all ! So ORBS *database* is fine but if you'll use sample files from
there (and most peoples are using sample files from there) it's not so fine :-/

>> > The same lies over and over. Yes, ORBS does force people to block mail from
>> > sites that are not validated mail relays. The way it does this is by lying
>> > and saying that they are validated mail relays, this provokes a justified
>> > (but misaimed) response from other.
>> >
>> > Deliberate misrepresentation to cause another to exercise force is itself
>> > force.
>>
>> Then perhaps someone (hopefully ORBS) needs to create a similar service
>> where there are different levels of blocking that the smtp admin chooses
>> how and what to block based on these levels reported by the service
>> (perhaps ORBS).
>>
>> 1 - known spam relays
>> 2 - open relays, but not known to send spam
>> 3 - unknown because of blocked checks
>>
>> When the email comes in, the check goes out to the service, the repsonse
>> comes back with a level, and the admins configuration decides what that
>> level warrants (depending on the software support on the admins side, flag
>> it, blackhole it, mail bomb to retaliate, whatever your pleasure...).
>>
>> --
>> / Ben Collins -- ...on that fantastic voyage... -- Debian GNU/Linux \
>> ` bcollins@debian.org -- bcollins@openldap.org -- bmc@visi.net '

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.037 / U:0.332 seconds]