    SubjectSerial Port voltage drops with Linux
    Hi,

    we have a home-made device connected to the serial port which we are trying
    to program with Linux. I have posted here already and got a lot of useful
    answers, BitWizard (thanks) even translated a QBasic source which was
    supposed to do what we needed for our project into C for Linux.

    Thanks to all who answered!

    But now we have a somewhat different problem.

    The situation is this: When we connect the hardware to the serial port, the
    signal amplitude breaks down to lower than +3V (which is miniumum for the
    PC to detect a "0"). With DOS, the signal amplitude varies from -10..+10 V
    (approx) for 1/0 signals. With Linux, it's -10..<+3V, and that is not
    enough.

    I tried not starting setserial when starting Linux, this did not change.
    When gpm was started, the serial port status changed though - although the
    mouse is on ttyS0 and our hardware on ttyS1.

    The next thing for us will probably be dosemu....

    Yes, I know this project is ridiculous. I didn't invent it. And nobody
    wanted to learn MS Visual C++ & Co, we'd all be happy getting this to run
    under Linux.

    Do you have any further ideas about this? Why do the ports behave so much
    differently (no matter if we start setserial or not) when using Linux? In
    theory (yeah, right) it's hardware that should behave the same under any
    OS, at least in respect to voltage levels and power consumption?

    We'd all really appreciate if you can give us any further insights (or
    RTFMs...) you might have on this.

    BTW, we tried three different serial port hardware boards (ISA) so the
    hardware should not be at fault.

    I have put the QBasic source and the C source at
    http://www.pinguin.conetix.de/serial.zip, perhaps someone can shed a little
    light on this. There is also a complete DOS floppy boot image including
    QBasic and the .bas file for those who do not have a bootable DOS handy
    (dos.img.gz).

    Thanks a lot!

    --
    _ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de