    SubjectRe: mnt_dirname revisited (chroot)
    Date
    Guest section DW wrote:
    > /proc/mounts is a semi-misfeature that you need not
    > worry too much about when you design a change.

    Very good. This removes my biggest worry.

    > We just have "cat /proc/mounts" as a convenient way
    > to check which filesystems are mounted.

    That's the functionality I definitely want to preserve - particularly
    with root-hopping, you very quickly end up in scenarios where
    /etc/mtab just becomes a weird mess. Without /proc/mounts, you're
    lost.

    > I think it is unnecessary to make /proc/mount/<kdevname>.

    Okay, let's drop this idea then. The only use would be to access
    a not-yet-unmounted old root file system. But as you've pointed
    out, the security implications are messy at best.

    > In particular, you avoid inventing notations like 03:03;
    > if there is no name then the thing is not listed at all.

    I want this to keep things human-understandable. Without it, you can
    easily end up with half a dozen file systems claiming to be mounted
    on /. Also, for consistency, fuser should make use of this information
    in the future.

    > [as noted: presently there is no guarantee that names begin with /]

    I guess I fixed this by accident ;-)

    Thanks,
    - Werner